Thursday, March 27, 2014

Discussion Board 4B - Add, subtract, and multiply without dividing

The discussion prompt is: "What can you add to your knowledge of you and of your knowledge of teaching?" but, being a former math teacher I realized I had a chance for a math metaphor and couldn't resist.  I feel my goal is to add, subtract, and multiply but want to avoid dividing.  

What I mean by this is that I can add so much to what I already know and have.  I have had the least traditional path in teaching as I was a teaching assistant for 5 years (took longer to get my certification because I had problems getting my student teaching done at the time).  In fact, I never did student teaching and was provided a waiver by the state.  I then taught math at a school for students with serious behavior problems.  Unfortunately, the goal of each day was to keep the students busy, prevent fights, and if you have time, try to teach them some basic math skill.  Then I moved to CA and got a job as a special ed resource teacher at a very nontraditional, independent study school. So basically, I have rarely, if ever, had to plan lessons, plan modes and methods of instruction. I need to add to my knowledge and efficiency of planning and assessing students.  I need to add to my classroom management skills, as I have yet to teach ina  traditional setting with large class sizes.  I need to add technology into my instruction, as I've had a lot of teaching experience, but not a lot of experience with integrating technology.  My goal is that I can begin teaching physical education and "multiply" my love and awareness of physical health by imparting this upon students and having them become more active and recruit their friends to do so as well.  I need to subtract my fear and doubt about whether I'm right for teaching (yes I've had that doubt many times - and since I've been in such odd school settings, it has been something that has been extremely difficult to disprove.)  Lastly, I would like the be able to integrate all of this without "dividing" everything too much and diminishing the effectiveness or depth of what I'm teaching.  Sometimes I feel that schools are so concerned with implementing so many different things that it becomes all about "making sure you do" certain things instead of teaching the heart of what needs to be taught.  There needs to be a more freedom in schools and teachers should be allowed some flexibility in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment